Netflix Translators for White Label Productions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading speed issues

2 posters

Go down

Reading speed issues Empty Reading speed issues

Post by Valmir.Martins Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Hello, fellow linguists! How are you doing?

I wanted to address the reading speed issues.

The thing is: for Brazilian Portuguese, it is 17 characters per second. But the warning only turns into an error after 22.10.

So, what do you do if the subtitle doesn't fit the 17c/s range (or the limit in your own languages)?

Do you make an effort to come up with a subtitle within the reading speed as per Timed Text Guide? Or do you make no matter of it and stretch it out to the limit when the warning becomes an error?

Would you share your experiences with me?

I, for my part, try to go within the 17c/s limit for BR-Portuguese. But most of the time the message won't be conveyed, some important parts of the speech will be lost, and then I have to squeeze it in until the limit (22.10c/s). Sometimes, especially when I work on standup comedy, or when I stumble upon FN along with important dialogue, I have to change the timing to a wider range to make it work.

How is that for you?

Cheers!

Valmir Martins

Valmir.Martins

Back to top Go down

Reading speed issues Empty Re: Reading speed issues

Post by Tero.Mansikka Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm

If your language pair (see guide for that, I'm sure you're familiar with it? Smile ) promotes merging, that's one option. Omitting is a skill itself, sometimes difficult, but if something is mentioned before/after "tricky part" that's probably good bet (to omit). And what comes going past 17c/s, don't be too shy, naturally try to keep it at minimum though! Sometimes it might be even mandatory to prolong the event if crucial stuff (like credits). BR, Tero

Tero.Mansikka

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmir.Martins Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks, Tero! Nice tips! And yes: very familiar with my language guide.

Cheers!

Valmir.Martins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum