Netflix Translators for White Label Productions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera?

2 posters

Go down

Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera? Empty Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera?

Post by Stellieboy Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi there!

When subtitling an anime, are we supposed to keep all the -chan, -san, -kuns et cetera?
Or do we just put the name and leave it at that?
I would think just the name would be enough, but I can't find anything about subtitling honourifics.

What do you usually do?
(I'm going from Japanese through English to Dutch, by the way).

Thanks!
Stella

Stellieboy

Back to top Go down

Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera? Empty Re: Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera?

Post by Tero.Mansikka Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 am

Doing anime also at the moment, omitting -chan,-san,-kun etc. In some cases ("Sir"-alike cases for instance, if you get me. Smile ) I might consider leaving "sensei" (Teacher) - often on audio it's transcribed as something else though. Gambatte kudasai!

Tero.Mansikka

Back to top Go down

Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera? Empty Re: Subtitling Anime - Chan, Kun, San, et cetera?

Post by Stellieboy Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 am

I'm still torn. It often is transcribed in the English version, suggesting it should also be transcribed in the localized version.
Hmm...

Stellieboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum